Painting a room can be very tiring and exhausting, especially if you aren’t skilled to do it. Giving your room a new coat done by you is a fulfilling experience.
Do you have any idea how to start painting a room? This article will guide you to paint a room like a pro.
Cleaning the Walls
- Your walls must first be free of any obstruction or dirt that will hamper your desire to paint.
- Remove all decorations like curtains, frames, other stuff hanging on the walls and furniture.
- Electrical outlets should be covered properly.
- Start scraping the targeted surface. Use spackling compounds in filling small holes.
- Use sandpaper to smoothen the area. And then remove the dust with a clean cloth.
- Use a vacuum cleaner to remove dust and dirt from the ceiling.
Tape off with painting tape
Use painter’s tape on the areas you wish not to paint or if painting with different colors. The painter’s tape help in:
- Masking the area, not for painting
- Keep the line straight
- Serve as a guide in trims and edges and prevent overlaps.
Application of primer
The purpose of primer is to cover the stains and create a smooth and balanced finish. Some painters may not find it ideal to use a primer as they add to their painting expenses. Also called an undercoat, the primer adds protection to the surface and offers better adhesion of the paint.
Materials and Equipment Needed
When painting for the first time, list down the things you need before starting the painting job.
- Choice of paint/s
- Painter’s tape
- Roller pan
- Drop Cloth
- Clean cloth for wiping
- Extension pole for hard to reach areas
Painting the Ceiling
When painting a ceiling, it would be best to work on a grid by dividing it by sections of 3-by-3 feet. This will allow you to see your progress and determine that you applied an even coating. Use wider rollers for ceilings.
Some specifics to take note of before painting the ceiling.
- Use an angled brush 2 to 3 inches wide, dip it to the paint and start brushing the edge of the ceiling.
- Fill a new paint in the pan and run your roller to it.
- Start rolling the roller to the ceiling, one section at a time.
- Overlap wet paint for each section to create a seamless blend.
- Once done, you can check the grids. If there are overlaps, you can run a stroke or two to cover the unpainted parts.
Painting the Walls
Next are the walls. Once the primer is dry, have your paint, paintbrushes, and roller ready. Spread a drop cloth to prevent floor staining. Stir the paint before pouring it into the painting pan. Stirring is important to let the mixture blend properly and achieve consistency of the color.
- Get a 2-inch trim brush and dip it into the paint.
- Gently stroke it to the edges and trims.
- After the edges and trims, you may dip the roller in the paint pan.
- Divide the walls by section and start running the roller with paint.
- Finish the first coating of each section before proceeding to the next section of the grid.
- Let the paint dry, and then apply the second coat.
How to Properly Paint a Room
- When painting the edges, corners, trims, or frames, you may use a paintbrush with a band size of 2 to 3 inches.
- Divide the surface when painting a wide wall and paint it one area at a time.
- When running a paint roller on a wall, start from the top to the bottom.
- Start painting the edges before proceeding to paint the wider surface.
- Use a small bucket or container when you need to climb a ladder to reach the edges.
- Use wide rollers to speed up painting wider surfaces.
Perfect Finish Require Professional Painters
DIY paintings can teach you how to paint an interior room properly. However, painting the whole room may be daunting and may require not only your time but also may risk your budget. If you are not confident enough to get the best result, better get someone experienced with painting.
El Gato Painting offers painting services that are affordable and very reliable. Their painters are licensed and have comprehensive painting experience. Our professional painters implement the 21-Steps preparation procedure that ensures a high-quality finish painting job.
Getting someone to do the painting job for you will save your time and energy.
Hire a pro from us. Call now and avail your free quotation!